12 January 2012

Welcome 2012!

There is nothing like coming home to chaos. Opening a new year to chaos. Stepping into chaos.

Eh. But I do not complain! It is what it is. Although I did sit around for a good 30 minutes just trying to wrap my head around the fact that I was back to "life" - real life - and that life was messy, busy, full of responsibilities, and already behind. And why was it starting off so cluttered?

Oh yeah. I remember it like a blur. A flurry of holiday activity and pre-20 day 'vacation' to Utah. Hosting our annual Christmas Sing-along, packing in what seemed like a half-hundred people into our apartment. Good food, singing, friendshipping, and holiday-lovin'. Followed less than 12 hours later by the church Christmas program, again lovely music. Followed 24 hours later by a quick, sunny, happy trip to The Mall with a friend and her son to enjoy the Museum of Natural History. The kiddos loved it and I quite enjoyed the exhibit on the government's role in food and food policy at the National Archives. The girls were pretty spent by then but luckily the exhibit was small and by then Marc joined us. It was a rush and final {successful!} attempt to see the exhibit on the last day I was around before it left the Archives. A bright but busy day together. Then packing ensued. A small ditch effort to tidy up the house {pathetically enacted}.

And then we flew - alone {sans hubby} - to Utah. What blessing and miracles occurred among possible disaster that flight! Think: forgot the carry-on bag with kid-entertainment such as DVD player, books, and cars; traffic + running late so we get to the airport just 30 minutes before take off; fairly easy check-in and security; everything at the gate is delayed, so we don't miss our flight; they let me board with the girls; they automatically - without my asking - change M's seat next to mine, which I had intended to do at the gate, but obviously had no time; we sit next to a nice person who ignores us the entire time; and hallelujah!!! the Halls, friends from church sit across the row from us and bless their little hearts, help with, hold, cuddle, and play with the girls during the flight; Sophie sleeps on J Hall's shoulder; Madeleine is delighted by J Hall's attention; we make it there with only one cry-fest during descent, lasting only 5 minutes {still felt like 10+!}.

And after 20, yes, t.w.e.n.t.y. days away - all of which were blissful {I count is as the most successful, happy, productive Christmas-in-Utah visit to date!} - I've come home to the poorly cleaned, left-in-a-mess apartment WITH the added bonus of our food and drawers out in full spread throughout our kitchen, dining, and living areas. Nary 10 feet of free, clean space was to be seen in all the apartment. Even now, there's not much more than 15 feet cleared. And everything has this fine layer of construction dust all over it. Everything. You see, over our Christmas voyage we were given the gift of new kitchen cabinets. Everything repainted, new cabinets, new sink, new counter tops, new microwave [yet to arrived and be installed]. Wonderful! Just messy!

So, I should have tidied up and cleaned (as my mama taught me) before I left on the trip, but I was exhausted. The consequence of coming home to a messy house was natural. Worth it? I guess so. It sure was fun both before and during the vacation!

Now... 2012, back to real life, real work, and real clean! Bonne Annee!

{What? No pictures? No posts catching up on birthdays, holidays, etc.? To come, to come... wait for it... wait for it...}

4 comments:

  1. I just have to say, I love reading this post, Natalie! And I say that it was TOTALLY worth it--you have the rest of the year to tidy up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're darling, i wish i had more of a chance to spend time with you when you were in philly. it sounds like you had a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back to real life. :D

    ReplyDelete