11 February 2010

Marc Matched!

Oh yeah! I forgot... Did I share the news that we know where we will be living for the next 5, yes FIVE, years of our lives???

Back in mid-December, Marc found out that he matched for a residency program in Radiology at the Bethesda National Naval Medical Center! He matched through the military (for those who don't know, Marc is getting through medical school grace a la Air Force), which is why we found out so early. It's a huge relief to know where we'll be for the next few years - kind of fun to plan and think about the future... but it already makes me sad about leaving Philly, which has been our home for a very significant portion of our lives. But hey, DC here we come!

So, recap...
* It was very difficult for Marc to choose a residency specialty. He settled on Radiology and is still praying that this was a good decision. We know that he'll do well in whatever sub-specialty he ends up in! He's afraid he'll miss the patients, but he's excited about the technology and intellectual part of this specialty.
* It was difficult to rank the military residency locations. The challenge was between Bethesda/DC and norther California. California would obviously be warmer and nice to be nearer to our families, and the program and residents all seemed so terribly NICE and family friendly. But the Bethesda location offered a lot of excellent career/training experiences for Marc (and for me!), and we happen to quite like the East Coast.
* We'll be in Bethesda, Maryland!!!
View Larger Map 15 minutes from the Washington D.C. temple, basically in DC! So fun!!!!! Be sure to visit us when you either a) attend the temple and/or b) visit our nation's capitol! We're excited to live near Marc's brother and some great friends!

5 comments:

  1. Fabuleux! Mon pere vient de Maryland, pas loin de Bethesda. C'est chouette que vous serez si proches au temple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's so exciting! congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be coming to visit! Don't know when... but I'm definitely coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay - Congratulations! I've been meaning to email or respond to you since you commented on our blog. Our experience with Radiology has been AWESOME! I have appreciate it as the spouse, and Todd has loved it. I completely understand the concern about lack of patient interaction, etc. I can't tell you how many attendings told Todd during his intern year that he was wasting his talents and great bedside manner on radiology. And it's true - he is amazing with patients. However, the benefits of Rads won out and Todd has really enjoyed it. And he is beyond happy that he can have a normal family life and spend more time at home (me too!) I hope it will be the same for Marc and that you guys will love it.

    Have fun in DC! I'm totally jealous that you will live so close to the temple. I dream of someday living closer than 2 hours from a temple. We love that part of the country too. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. COngrats man... not too far away. Thats almost just like being one ward away.

    ReplyDelete