26 February 2015

Installment #2 of Childhood Memories: Saturday Morning Breakfast

Adding to my memories of my childhood... Saturday morning breakfast were a happy ordeal. I particularly remember when we were young how my brother and I would be watching cartoons (I'm remembering shows like X-men and Looney Tunes) and then my mom and dad would come down, scare us from behind the couch where we were watching TV and then start on breakfast. Pancakes (Bisquick mix!) were my dad's specialty. My mom used to make coconut syrup sometimes, too. And orange julius. Yes, that drink. I'm thinking just ice, sugar, and canned orange juice, but I remembered we thought it such a treat! Sometimes they'd shake it up with Lime Ricky... I think? Grape juice, ice, and lime? I don't remember exactly. But! I do remember sitting and eating our non-cereal breakfast and having my dad read scriptures out loud as we ate. A happy and comforting memory.

Saturdays are still a big deal now with my own kids. Something about having Marc home makes it extra nice. He usually does a big breakfast, responding to the kids' requests: pancakes or crepes are favorites; or his own desires: omelets; and I get my favorites too: eggs, hashbrowns, and bacon. But it's not just the food. We love to go out! We are in D.C. after all and there is much to see and do. We love this city. Smithsonians, plays, free events, holiday celebrations, restaurants, you name it and we are game to try it! And while I think that the past 4 years have enabled us to sample nearly everything in this area I still get surprises of areas and events that I have yet to experience! Vive D.C.!

A children's play in Alexandria, VA. 

Church activities.

The American Visionary Art Museum on MLK Day.




Federal Hill in Baltimore

Outside a delicious Lebanese restaurant near Federal Hill


2 comments:

  1. ah, orange julius is our christmas drink. and i watched the smurfs on saturday mornings. it was great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great to catch up on your recent musings! I just love your insights, your family, and you :)

    ReplyDelete