29 August 2011

The Letter P

This post is brought to you by the letter P.

I miss the Piano. I started playing when I was 4 or 5. Now I play about 4 or 5 times a year. Okay, I kid, but it's not enough, that's what. I have an excellent Yamaha keyboard. I have my piano books. I have the desire. Okay, maybe not enough desire. But I do wish that I played everyday. More and more. I wish that I knew all my scales and could easily get through a Debussy or Chopin. I wish that I played more than hymns without any fear. Maybe teaching Madeleine to play piano soon will help ease me back into the piano one a more frequent basis. Although the thought of teaching Madeleine piano makes my innards just groan with despair. Anyone want to swap kids for teaching piano? I'll teach yours (I used to do it as my job!) and you teach mine.

One set of our keys WAS Perdue... or lost. Ever since our trip to AI/OC. Can you believe it? An entire set of keys, lost. But since it was our set without the tag that included the epitaph of "call this # if found" I just knew they were somewhere in our house. Well, I was correct. They were in a diaper bag. I had put them in a "safe" place to assure that they would not be lost on the beach. Awesome. I'm just relieved they've been found.

I have a serious Problem. I call it my unicorn hair. Yes. I have these small tufts of new hair growing out of my forehead at the edge of my hairline. And this 1x1 inch swath of hair sticks STRAIGHT UP. Yes. So annoying. So unbecoming. So ridiculous. I look ridiculous. It will not be tamed. No bobby pin or hair gel or head band can control these wisps. And I don't think I should cut it; I mean, what if they grow back worse than before? They don't seem to be growing long enough to give me the hope of actually incorporating into the rest of my mane either. It's depressing. It's kind of freakish. So, laugh at me. Laugh with me. But feel a bit of pity for me as well. I'll include a sick picture to give substance to this complaint and I think you will agree. And the picture doesn't even do it justice. Freakish.

Lastly, the People smell. Do you know some people who have a smell? Like a distinct, personal scent... not a BAD odor by any means, but something that you can easily identify with them and them only? Say, Aunt B smells like basil, or something. I really mean this in a non-offensive way. For instance, I can always smell Madeleine's babysitter on her, on her hair and clothes and diaper bag, because this darling, lovable woman smells like... well, I don't know, perhaps some brand of soap or laundry detergent or something - NOT something bad, just something HER! And when M comes home from her house, she always smells just like it. There are a few friends of ours who also have distinctive smells. I have never come across a smelly friend I didn't like :) so no worries. It's just fascinating to me. Not everyone has it, either. Do I have a smell? Oh laws, be gentle with your replies {I know that I am not one who can live without deodorant and perfume}. But yeah... is it just because some people subscribe to an entire line of products that consists of only one scent? All bodywashes, soaps, detergents, hair care products, etc. in lilac? I don't know! How does this happen?

Okay. Over and out. Back to Edmond Dantes and the Farm Bill (more posts on the Farm Bill later. Much later.).


6 comments:

  1. You make me laugh - that hair! I WISH I had a piano (we never did get one since we sold ours in Philly) and yes, I'd love to teach your kids piano if you'll teach mine. You'll have to find Ryan a job in DC first though. I figure there's no way you'll come to WY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i totally have those hairs. i hate them too. i feel like that little french cartoon boy (am i mis-remembering?).

    and i have to be honest: you gave me a complex about the smell. is it i who smells? don't tell me. just lie, please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. alright here goes...

    You should totally come to WA after residency, cause then I can teach piano to your kids and you can teach mine!

    The hair, yes, a result of pregnancy hormones or something, I grew out my bangs years ago, and then when Lilli was about 7-8 months old these creepy little short bangs started growing in..ewww I pretty much just ignored them. Or maybe you can rub them with coconut oil, it's supposed to help hair fall out...

    I love the people smell thing! I first realized it when I was young and could smell woodburning stove on my cousin (mmm, love it!) Lilli always smells like her sunbeam teacher which makes me happy because she is so wonderful, and she does smell good!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally feel for you with the hair thing. I'm currently going through the postpartum hair loss (it's coming out in handfulls), to be followed in a few months by the spiky grow-out. Definitely not something people warn you about when you're pregnant. Then just when your hair starts to look normal again, you have another baby and it starts all over!

    Oh, by the way, can we TALK soon?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unicorn hair is such a pleasant way of thinking about it. :)

    As the poster who lives nearest to you and wants to do a piano teaching swap, I claim myself M's official teacher. (As long as neither she nor you cares how much formal piano experience I have.)

    smells? I smell. I think people's personal smells are fascinating. Which reminds me of a perfume factory Jon visited in France. They wouldn't just sell you any old bottle of perfume; they wanted to be sure your scent and the cologne's scent were compatible. I guess they didn't want to make a bad name for their company. Or, shall we say, a stinky name?

    ReplyDelete