I started Madeleine in a Joy School. As soon as we moved to DC/MD the tangible change in lifestyle really caused me to panic about my little girl's upbringing. I was no longer in class! She needed to be in class! SOMEONE in our family always has to be involved in structured learning, right? Well, Marc graduated, I completed all my PhD coursework, so Madeleine... it's up to her to continue in academia. Just 20 more years little one! :)
So I somehow convinced some other moms in my area to start a Joy School... I may have been the mobilizer but heaven knows that I have no idea what I'm doing! The moms are great, the kids are hyper and unpredictable - but what do you expect from 2 year olds? I think it's great. Short lesson, learning social interaction, how to pay attention, socializing for us as moms, snacks, run off that energy, etc. One of the moms bought a little parachute and that's definitely been a highlight for the kiddies at the end of 'school.' Madeleine does surprisingly well for being the youngest and knowing the least. She's got great examples around her and every time I can see how she likes to be 'obedient' to the teacher and repeat things. It's so fun to watch her learn! I'm glad we got this started!
And, since she's been in school, she's also proving her maturity to me by "mothering" a great deal. I hope that this proves helpful when the real baby comes along! I admit, she wears the Moby wrap better than I do! Here's to growing up and learning new things!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I really want to do joy school with you. Some day! I loved it when I was little.
ReplyDelete