24 June 2010

Dr. Marc

So we kicked off our Philadelphia stay-cation with graduation!





Just a special tribute to my hubby, Marc!

Yes, on May 14th, 2010 he graduated from Temple University School of Medicine! He's now Marc D. Tolley, M.D.! In related (but old) news, he's matched for a residency in radiology at that National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, MD - a 5 year program that includes transitional year.

We were so happy to have both our parents and Susan and Ryan there to celebrate the day of graduation. And I'm so proud of him! He was definitely a dedicated student all 4 years - he managed his time very wisely, studied diligently, helped others along the way, and showed gratitude for the plethora of brains that Heavenly Father bestowed on him. He's seriously smart. But that doesn't keep him from working hard. And it shows! We are so proud of his accomplishments!

Graduation day was lovely weather. Marc made his way down to the Kimmel Center (where the Philly Pops plays - a GORGEOUS venue) via public transportation. My parents and I followed suit about an hour later, and Marc's family and Madeleine came via car. The problem is that I got off the subway and got discombobulated with all the hoorah: I spotted a group of people, a Temple University sign, friends from Marc's class, and I walked into a beautiful hall and sat our families down in prime seating. We were early, we were ready, we were.... in the wrong venue!!! Because I had been the Academy of Music before for theatre and shows, I recognized the place, recognized other people and families of other med students and followed the crowd, grabbed graduation programs without looking and sat down. What I didn't check was the graduation program that said Temple University School of PODIATRY! Oops! Once I realized (and after much fiasco on the phone with Marc who was asking where we were so that we could take pictures in the front lobby - so much confusion!) my snafu, I rushed in and grabbed the family and screamed: "We're in the wrong place!"

We rushed 1 1/2 blocks south to the Kimmel Center, at which point, we were late enough so that we DIDN'T get good seats, and didn't have time to take pictures with Marc and his friends before the ceremony. Sheesh. Quel fiasco. Totally my fault. What can I say, I'm a ditz!

But the ceremony was beautiful - okay, kind of boring - but the venue was great, Madeleine only had one melt down, and when Marc walked across the stage to receive his diploma, we all got to see him and Madeleine yelled out, "Daddy! Daddy!" It was great!!!

The day before graduation, Marc also received an award at the Medical School Awards Ceremony. We were all surprised by it (Good thing I made him go to the event! He was planning on skipping it! As if I would ever let pomp and circumstance go by without us!)Well, we knew he would be recognized for being a member of the medical honor society AOA (they had a reception and awards ceremony for that in February), we didn't know he was to receive an award for Radiology. Right before they announced the award, I turned and whispered to him, "Wouldn't that be funny if you won this award?" And Marc said, "Yeah, right." And then we heard... "goes to Marc Tolley!" He jumped up and made his way down with those wide, surprised eyes of his and my Dad and I whipped out our cameras to try to capture what was left of the moment. Hooray!

So double congrats to Marc! We love you! And it was a great way to spend the first part of our "vacation" with our families in Philadelphia - by celebrating YOU! Congrats!


5 comments:

  1. this is so awesome! congrats Marc on graduating! Radiology I hear is a great field too! COngrats on the baby, and your great future. I think it is awesome that you get to stay in the east for 5 more years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATS to you, Tolleys! What a wonderful time for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many good things happening to you all at the same time. Congrats on Marc's graduation, on your second pregnancy, and on your new location. No doubt you will be missed in Philly though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huge congratulations. We love hangin out with ya'll because you are so much cooler than us.

    We want to be you when we grow up.


    Still wishin we got to hang out more
    (that makes this comment sound like a note written in a yearbook)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who's that guy with the goatee!?

    ReplyDelete