7/15/2013: Madeleine was pretending going to college. Wellesley! She had on her Chinese dress, socks on her hands, socks on her feet, her sandals, a packed backpack and two dolls. She went off to college for a while, and then came out and asked for help moving her stuff into her new house. Then she said she was getting married!
Me/PP: What?? Married already? You just went to college!
M: I know, but I met a boy. And he likes me. So we’re going to be married.
PP: Well! Don’t you think you should check with your mom first?
M: Nah. He and I are just going to get married.
Me: Whoa, whoa, whoa! Now listen here, I want to meet him first. What does he do?
M: Well, he’s with the kids!
Me: He has kids!?!
M: No, he watches kids. He pushes them in a stroller. And he has a dog. Who runs with them. He’s very nice. He’s really good with kids. And he shops for me sometimes, too.
Me: Well, those are some good qualities I guess, but, So... but what does he do? Is he a daycare worker? Is he like Mr. Jabarri? [her daycare teacher]
M: Yeah. He works with the kids. He loves kids.
Me: These aren’t his kids, right? Did he go to college? With you at all?
M: No, he works with them. Actually, he doesn’t go to college. He was working with kids but now he doesn’t.
Me: Why not?
M: They said no, because he didn’t clean up the toys with the kids. So they told him he can’t work anymore.
Me: Great. So, the boy you want to married is unemployed and uneducated? Who is going to care for your family?
M: Me. I will sort of work. And he will just watch the kids. He lives with me.
Me: What? You don’t live with someone until you’re married!
M: Well, we’re getting married, and he stays with me while he’s visiting college. But don’t worry. I have a bunk bed. He sleeps on the bottom. I sleep on the top.
Me: Well, I need to really meet this guy before you get married.
M: Okay! Come over! For Thanksgiving you can visit me in college!
[so I go to the bedroom where Sophie is playing]
M: Here is Eric. {Sophie, pretend you’re a boy. You’re Eric.}
S: I’m Eric! Hmmm... maybe I want to be... Jack!
M: {Oh, Sophie, can you please be Eric? I really, really like you to be a boy Eric.}
S: Mmmmm... maybe I’m Eric!
Me: Nice to meet you Eric. Are you going to start college or a job?
S: No. I’m Cinderella!
M: Wait! Actually, I am taller than she is, so I’ll be Eric. She can be the girl and go to college. We will live together and be a family. [lowers her voice] Please help me move in.
Me: I don’t think you guys should move in together until you’re married!
M: Well, we will get married.
Me: Eric, tell me about yourself. Where are you from? What’s your family like?
M: I’m from... hey, my family, he doesn’t have a family because he lost them. So that’s why he’s staying here with me.
Me: Great. An unemployed, unemployed, uneducated orphan.
M: And I’ll take care of kids. I’m good at it. Can you visit us for Christmas? And you can bring anything... maybe a salad. Okay, actually, bring a dessert. Because we mixed up all our dessert already. So can you please bring a dessert?
Me: I give up. Yes. I’ll visit again at Christmas with a dessert. Bye kids.
i get what you have against the uneducated and unemployed. but the orphans?! have you no sympathy?!
ReplyDeletecracking up!
ReplyDeleteesp love when she asks you to bring a desert or salad. this girl must be a great mormon ;)